Re: [Xen-devel] VM Remote access options

To: tcranbrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VM Remote access options
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:15:14 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:25:52 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Just to error test my own thinking here, there seems to be the following
> options for remote graphical access to a running domian vm.  Besides the
> normal network service via a port and a raw console, the options are
> straight X, VNC, and XN.
>
> X - supports a single X window running on a local XServer, tied to a single
> process on the remote system.  No remote desktop

Checkout the Xnest server. It allows you to run an Xserver
displaying to an Xwindow (which can be full screen).

> VNC - comes in two flavors of server.  The original at&t server supports a
> primative window manager and no desktop to the remote system.  A more
> recent server is krfb found in the KDE tree.  This is the basis for so
> called 'desktop sharing' features.  krfb forks the io on running kde
> environment to the remote VNC client and thus depends on a running login
> session.  It can not start a new login session.

RealVNC seems to work well. I suspect you can elide the login
session issue with a suitable script.

> When I mentioned bad performance of XN in an earlier post, I was refering
> to test on a xen domain.   Over a regular network, it is quite snappy, and
> over the internet, it is simple amazing.  It does not seem to be happy on a
> domain system, however.  I've got some more things to try.  But the client
> is gagging and stops responding after a connection has been established and
> a session started.

I'm not sure why it would have problems -- it's just using a TCP
connection, right?

Ian