[Xen-devel] Automation scripts

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Automation scripts
From: Paul Dorman <pauld@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:23:57 +1200
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:36:32 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone on the list has written any scripts to automate the
management of VMs with loopback images. Here's what I want to be able to do:

* Store existing physical machine file systems, or pristine installs in
loopback images on my Xen servers (something I'll do manually)

* Run a script that will start a VM from one of these images, automatically
associate it with a loopback device, give it a name, RAM allocation, network
addresses, and set various internal parameters, such as hostname, routes,
etc., based on a set of arguments. So something like "script <imagename>
<hostname> <netconfigs> <RAM> <.. etc.

* Have the same script take another argument that will cause it to clone a
filesystem image first before starting the VM, so that I can use a set of
images as VM templates. I intend to have a large collection of templates
which my developers can use to create VMs suited to whatever project they are
working on.

* After a VM machine has been instantiated, I would like to be able to start
and stop it with simple "start hostname" and "stop hostname" kinds of
commands.

* Have management tools so that I can for example shift a VM from one Xen
server to another (shift hostname xenservername). These would also be used by
load balancing scripts to shift machines around to manage resources.

I'd like to build a web-based management system for these scripts, so that
developers are free to create and control Xen VMs (though naturally with
limitations based on what the servers can handle -- so my bosses will know
when they need to buy me more servers :o)  ).

I don't see these as particularly difficult, but if someone has done them
already .... Also, I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on automation
of this kind, particularly in terms of functionality and practicalities.

Thanks for your time!

Paul