Re: [Xen-devel] A snapshot is not (really) a cow

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:35:49PM +0100, Peri Hankey wrote:
> Although I did get quite a lot wrong in my analysis, I come back to the
> point that as lvm2 creates additional snapshots of a the same original,
> it adds them to a list of snapshots of that original. If something goes
> wrong while a new snapshot is being added, the effect in my experience
> is pretty bad: all of the other snapshots of the same original become
> unusable and you lose control of xenU domains that have their root
> filesystems in those snapshots.
>
> There may be a bug in lvm2 in the handling of error conditions when
> adding a new snapshot. But  if there are linkages between snapshots of
> the same original it is going to be pretty hard to guarantee that the
> snapshots are properly independent of each other and proof against this
> kind of snarlup.
>
> You can see what I mean if you look at the code:

As said before, this is needed to allow writes to the original and it
has to be a bug in error handling if snapshot creation failing renders
all snapshots of the same original lv unusable.

It seems to me that you have 2 options:
- fix the error handling
- create a new snapshot module which doesn't allow writes to the
  original

I don't see the benefits of the 2nd option, but nobody's stopping you ;-)

    christian