Re: [Xen-devel] Loopback images

To: Paul Dorman <pauld@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Loopback images
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:25:23 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:27:50 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> True, but I would expect that many people looking to shift to a Xen-based
> architecture would want to migrate their current hardware. RAM is a cheap
> upgrade these days and I would expect that Xen installations would benefit if
> they could use lots of it. You guys are the ones doing the hard work though
> and I'm very happy with what you have done so far. But if ever you find
> yourselves thingking, hmm, what to do next? Well, you know what I'd love you
> to do!! :o)

Noted.

> As an aside, do I need to do anything special for my 4GB machines at the
> moment? How much of the 4GB will Xen be able to use out of the box?

Xen should be able to use all 4GB, less any that has to be given
up due to IO mapped regions (e.g. maybe 32MB for the graphics
card etc).

If you want individual domains to be bigger than ~800MB you'll
have to enable CONFIG_HIGMEM4GB in the config just like you would
with native linux.

Ian