Re: [Xen-devel] Memory oversubscription

To: Todd Jones <stjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:55:23 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:59:07 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, that will work. The total current memory reservation across all
domains must always be smaller than the amount of RAM. However, the
upper limit that Xen will allow the reservations to increase to can
sum to larger than available RAM.

However, beware that Linux won't be happy if it fails to increase its
reservation when it believes it ought to be able to -- the net driver
in particular will barf spectacularly. Fixing this is really a small
matter of cleaning up the code that I ought to get round to.

Within Xen, nothing smart happens when you run low on RAM (e.g.,
failing one guest's memory request in favour of other more important
guests). I guess this could be smarter!

 -- Keir