RE: [Xen-devel] xm speed

To: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xm speed
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:59:58 +1000
Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mike.wray@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:03:33 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is it like this even when you haven't got a domain in a bad
> state?

I think so, although I've never actually timed it before.

> Of the 1.4s of CPU, consumed, 1.2s seems to being accounted to
> 'xm', so we can assume that 'xend' is consuming the other
> 0.2. What's odd about this is that _xend_ is the guy that's
> actually doing most of the work -- xm just does an RPC to it.
>
> Anyhow, it might be more informative to figure out where the
> difference between real time and CPU time is coming
> from. Presumably xm/xend is blocking on IO. I wander if running
> an strace on xm and/or xend might be informative.
>
> BTW: how are you accessing your root file system (local disk,
> NFS) etc?

Root filesystem in dom0 is a local raid array, albeit a very slow one.
The disk appears to do a fair bit of chugging when I run it, although
I'm not normally near the box.

After a checkout and rebuild just now, it appears to be much faster!

Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     81.8
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.0    9601

real    0m2.254s
user    0m1.100s
sys     0m0.090s
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     83.9
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.1    9601

real    0m2.544s
user    0m1.110s
sys     0m0.100s
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     86.5
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.2    9601

real    0m2.465s
user    0m1.060s
sys     0m0.140s
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     88.6
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.3    9601

real    0m2.529s
user    0m1.060s
sys     0m0.150s
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     91.1
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.4    9601

real    0m2.371s
user    0m1.080s
sys     0m0.130s
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     93.3
gaia2              1      126    0  -b---     22.5    9601

real    0m2.326s
user    0m1.130s
sys     0m0.130s

2 seconds is still a bit slow considering what it is actually doing, but
better than 10.

James