[Xen-devel] Re: Xen reboots when trying to start new domain

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen reboots when trying to start new domain
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:19:10 +0100
Cc: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:35:36 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > I'm running what was 1.1301 at the time of the clone (xen.bkbits.net
> > indicates that it is now 1.1280.1.21) on a dual opteron with 8GB
> > running in 32-bit mode.
> >
> > title Xen 1.1301 / XenoLinux 2.6.8.1
> >         kernel /xen-1.1301.gz dom0_mem=262144 com1=9600,8n1 pdb=com1H
> > console=com1 noreboot
> >         module /vmlinuz-1.1301 root=/dev/hda3 ro
> >

> > The FreeBSD domain builder works fine running against 1.1229, however,
> > on the more recent snapshot the following occurs:
> >
> > in my login:
>
> Does your builder try to map a page table at more than one place in
> the initial page directory (e.g., to provide FreeBSD with a
> start-of-day mapping of its memory starting at zero)?
>
> That isn't allowed any more. :-)
>
>  -- Keir

The crash is potentially interesting. Your output looks as though
there was no crash dump before rebooting - a sure sign of a triple
fault. However, they are very rare indeed. Is it possible you lost any
console output? For example, BIOS/GRUB screens sometimes erase parts
of a serial dump in an effort to 'draw' themselves. :-)

How would the FreeBSD builder react to a one of its mmu_update
requests failing?

 -- Keir