Re: [Xen-devel] simple question on frontend network driver and decreasi

To: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] simple question on frontend network driver and decreasing reservation
From: ron minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:12:11 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:25:12 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Mark Williamson wrote:

> By the way, on an unrelated note, how are you planning on tackling the GUI in
> Plan 9?  Or are you mainly aiming at backend servers?

First cut is just an auth server and fossil server and CPU servers. I just
want them to work at all. For a cpu server, you can drawterm to it from
Linux and get the full Plan 9 GUI (more or less) while not needing to have
Plan 9 own graphics hardware. It's the next best thing to being there :-)

I'm hoping to get the frontend block driver next, then dedicate some real
disk partitons to Plan 9 guests, but we'll see.

I am hoping against hope that we can find a way in 2.0 to hand over
virtual consoles from DOM0 to Plan 9, but have no idea if that is even
possible. So the graphics thing comes later. But it would be nice to solve
it.

>I'd like to be able to
> run Plan 9 but I'm not sure I can dedicate a machine to it (mainly
> because I doubt it would like my hardware).

That's the big goal. I started this project because of the number of
people who can't run plan 9 on their hardware. It's a spare time thing but
it has helped me learn a lot about Xen, so it's worth it.

thanks

ron