Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with virtual disks in DomU

To: Stephen Childs <Stephen.Childs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with virtual disks in DomU
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:35:03 +0100
Cc: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:41:23 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have now also tried running it on my desktop machine (which has IDE disks)
> with the same results and have also tried running last night's build from
> Cambridge -- also with the same results. I'm beginning to think I'm missing
> something obvious!

This is truly bizarre. Are you sure you're re-installing (and
restarting) xend when you upgrade? I could imagine that an old
xend version might conceivably have this effect.

Have you tried doing a 'make uninstall' to clear out old
versions. (This script is actually *really* dumb, so read what it
does and modify appropriately --- copy back your config files
when you're done.)

> Any ideas why there are different results exporting sdb and sdb1? Is it
> something to do with the probe?

I'd certainly stick to using sdb1 as exporting whole disks is
probably used by far fewer people (but certainly believed to
work). I'd also try having the target device as 'sda1' or 'hda1'
as this is more normal than using sdb1. e.g.

  disk = [ 'phy:sdb1,sda1,w' ]

Ian