Re: [Xen-devel] ANOUNCEMENT: Debian packages for xen built on 2004-08-19

To: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ANOUNCEMENT: Debian packages for xen built on 2004-08-19 bk source
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:50:32 +0100
Cc: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:52:40 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've decided to hold out on building RPMs for a bit more
> for two reasons:
>
> 1) the kernel/hypervisor interface might still change
>    before 2.0, so it's probably best if people keep
>    building them together

I think what we're going to do is to declare a 2.0 beta at the
end of the week, in the hope that we encourage a few more
existing 1.2 users to try 2.0 and get feedback.

There are a couple of remaining things we're planning to do
before the final 2.0 release:

 * switch over to using Xen's new foreign-page grant-table
mechanism, which is a useful interface clean up for domains
wishing to share pages in a safe fashion.

 * upgrade to 2.8.6.1. This shouldn't be more than a few hours
work, but its really boring ;-)

 * do a few MMU optimisations to the 2.6 / Xen interface. In
particular we want to switch over to using the writeable page
tables mechanism by default. We should be able to get 2.6
performance as good as 2.4. It's not bad right now, but we know
we can do better.

> 2) rpm crashes inside xenU, doing gettimeofday, sleep
>    and then another gettimeofday, probably a divide by
>    zero

Ouch -- I haven't seen a crash for quite a while. We had a bunch
of problems with time in 2.6 a couple weeks back, but I thought
we'd put that behind us...

Running rpm under FC2 in a XenU domain seems to work fine for me,
so I think it might be something more subtle.

Feel free to post crash dumps ;-)

Ian