[Xen-devel] Re: PXE boot

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: PXE boot
From: Ruediger Berlich <ruediger.berlich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:15:46 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:23:16 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

> Xen currently doesn't support booting domains via PXE, though at
> some point someone talked about adding it. Basically, the domain
> builder would do the PXE request and tftp the kernel image that
> would be place in the domain.
>
> I'm sure you could get the domains booting sans PXE without too
> much hassle anyhow.

I would assume that it would probably be sufficient to modify the
domain builder in a way that, upon request, it executes a script
(kind of like a constructor) before the domain starts up. One could do
things like setting up a disk image with all needed data (like the kernel
image) in that. As everything is physically handled in domain0, this could
easily replace  the PXE  boot. And one could of course do many other cool
things in such a constructor (and destructor type) script. Or maybe
I'm wrong.

Have fun,
Ruediger