Re: [Xen-devel] file corruption!!!

To: Chris Andrews <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] file corruption!!!
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:21:33 +0100
Cc: Andy Isaacson <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:23:14 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Well, I also have similar corruption in my domain0 filesystems, and
> I've heard of another instance, so there could be something in this.

That's obviously very worrying to hear -- we just haven't seen
anything like this.

It would be very interesting to hear whether you get the problem
with the 2.6.7 xen linux. It might give us a clue as to whether
the problem is with the backend blk driver or within the domain
itself (the 2.6.7 implementation is completely different).

> Running -unstable as of yesterday, but with v1.9 of
> linux-2.4.26-xen-sparse/arch/xen/drivers/blkif/backend/vbd.c, as the
> v1.11 changes seem to break exporting block devices from domain0. The
> filesystems are on devicemapper LVs, but copying to a file and
> exporting the loop device didn't help -- the xenU kernel reports 'no
> device' for /dev/sda1 when it tries to mount root. The same export
> statement worked when booting the kernel with earlier vbd.c.

I've checked in a fix. It should work fine with LVM and loop
devices again.

> I also have a serial console problem - the console connection works
> fine with Linux 2.6, but appears to only work in one direction with Xen
> - I see the bios output, grub output, then Xen output, but once domain0
> is booting I can't send characters, although ^A^A^A does switch between
> domain0 and Xen and I do see further console jibber.
>
> I'm booting with this grub stanza:
>
> title Xen Virtualised Linux
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 com1=9600,8n1 watchdog
> console=com1,vga
> module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,9600 panic=30

Nothing obviously wrong here, though could you try the simpler:

module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=ttyS0

What happens if you run a getty on /dev/ttyS0 ?

Ian