Re: [Xen-devel] QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Support

To: Brian Wolfe <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] QLogic Fibre Channel HBA Support
From: Steve Traugott <stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:06:26 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:10:08 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 03:23:47AM +0000, Brian Wolfe wrote:
> Well, after having to restart another of the domains on that xen
> server I discovered that the last in the list is the one that would
> lock up once every 24 hours. (not certain fo the exact timeframe since
> it locks during the night.)
>
> I've disabled the cron entries that generate high workload to
> eliminate that as a possible cause.

This may do it -- once I told my beta users that high workloads and/or
lots of entropy use could cause hangs, they started nice'ing and
--bwlimit'ing their ssh rsyncs, and there hasn't been a hang for a few
weeks.  No proof whether I was hitting another entropy bug or just
workload.  (Reminder to lurkers -- I'm running 1.2 with /dev/random
major,minor set to 1,9 -- same as /dev/urandom.)

> Next is to try running the virtual server on another xen host that is
> running an older version of xen and xenolinux, see if that still hangs
> it.

I think it should get worse if it changes at all.  Your /dev/random is
1,8, right?

> I'll report more as I find it. However, I'm still swamped with house
> repairs. 8-( a 10' section of wall that's destroyed by termites, a bad
> kithen remodeling that has gone rotten (literally), and a bathroom
> shower install where they "forgot" to add the drain part that mates
> the drain hole to the drain pipe. I may have to post a pic of the
> shower issue to show how stupid it is. ;-P

I feel your pain.  ;-)  Building a home server closet here (this is
silly valley; it'll probably even increase the house value).  It's been
an 18-month project so far, 80 amp subpanel, dedicated air conditioner
in the closet, that sort of thing.  Lots of conduit, wiring, structural,
attic, and drywall work.  Gotta deal with the fiberglass insulation this
week -- my wife says I keep putting that part off, I keep telling her
she has no idea how itchy that stuff is...  :-}  The good news is, when
it's finally done it'll be able to serve as a minimal disaster recovery
site for the Xen infrastructure we're building at our shop.  Woo hoo.

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC