Re: [Xen-devel] Problems building xeno-unstable

To: "Xiaofang Chen" <xiachen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problems building xeno-unstable
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:17:14 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:18:50 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I just rebuilt xeno-unstable.bk in my machine according to the 'HOWTO' by Bin
> Ren.
> Everything goes well except that I cannot get a xenolinux.gz file.
> I have built this unstable version before, and everything is ok.

The howto is out of date. Just type 'make world' at the top
level. (If you haven't already got a pristine linux src tar ball
at the top level it attempts to download one.)

All of the files that are built are placed under the ./install
directory. E.g. looking in install/boot/ :

 install/boot/xen.gz               The Xen 'kernel' (formerly called image.gz)
 install/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0  Domain 0 xenolinux kernel (xenolinux.gz)
 install/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xenU  Unprivileged xenolinux kernel

The difference between the two linux kernels that are built is
due to the configuration file used for each. The "U" suffixed
unprivileged version doesn't contain any of the physical hardware
device drivers, so is 30% smaller and hence may be preferred for
domains>0.

The install/boot directory will also contain the config files
used for building the xenlinux kernels, and also versions of xen
and xenlinux kernels that contain debug symbols (xen-syms and
vmlinux-syms-2.4.26-xen0) and are hence essential for
interpreting crash dumps.

Your grub config will thus look something like the following:

title Xen running Linux 2.4.26
         root(hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 watchdog com1=115200,8n1 noht
         module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro

The old "console=" xenlinux option is typically unnecessary as it
now has more sane defaults: by default, domain0 will grab the
screen and keyboard directly (tty1) and also access the serial
line via Xen (ttyS0). This means that most distribution's start
up scripts (in particular /etc/inittab) should work without
modification.

Somebody should put this message in a howto ;-)

Ian