Re: [Xen-devel] Using the C library

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Using the C library
From: "Brian Wolfe" <brianw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun Jun 20 18:18:31 2004 CDT
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:42:28 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've heard of twisted before. Not certain how it helps to be honest.

Anyways, as a general server setup your methods will work great.

I'll continue work on the libxcctl in C. :) Any places you can point me to for
documentation would be greatly appreciated.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:14:45 +0100 Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said...

> It probably should be under /var/run since it is something that is only good
> for the curent xen kernel boot, and if Domain-0 dies, so does the box (I'm
> assuming that this is true, and if so, only a temporary situation)

Agreed -- it should move before 2.0.  We could in principle have
a 'hot standby' management domain that takes over if domain 0
dies. It probably makes sense for the two management daemons to
replicate their state directly rather than transfer information
via the filessytem.

> Personally I have a bias against interpreted languages.  But that's just me.
> :) I have this thing about too many dependancies and unused chunks of bloat
> that aren't necessary, but are done in the name of "convenience" in final
> products. But this debate of preference  is for another time/place. :) It's
> your project, you decide what it uses (deference only, no insult/attude
> intended).

Fair point, but rapid development and stability are our biggest
concerns right now. Nothing to stop someone else producing some
alternative tools ;-)

> Why is it that everyone wants to use HTTP as a network
> connectivity base? It seems kind of semi-one-wayish to
> me. While it can do 2-way communication, it's stateless, and
> has a limit of the amount of "sent" data to the httpd without
> the special method of an uploaded "file" which takes you
> outside of the protocol itself....

HTTP is a fine for RPC, but I agree it doesn't work well for
notifications. One of the good things about using the Twisted
framework is that changing transport protocol is trivial.

Ian