Re: [Xen-devel] SMP Analysis on Xen?

To: Steve Smith <ssmith314@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SMP Analysis on Xen?
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:44:33 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:46:22 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Has anyone done any analysis of cache coherency on SMP systems
> with Xen?

Since we currently don't support SMP guests there's very little
sharing of data between CPUs. Xen itself is quite small there's
very few data structures that aren't per-CPU.

> Can processor affinity be set to associate VMs with specific CPUs?

Yes, VMs are currently pinned to specific CPUs (see
xc_dom_control pincpu). It would be easy to add a periodic
VM re-balancer. It could even be protoyped in user-space in domain0.

Ian
 -=- MIME -=-
--0-1987994721-1085703071=:72558

Has anyone done any analysis of cache coherency on SMP systems with Xen?  Can
processor affinity be set to associate VMs with specific CPUs?

Also, does anyone know of any good research papers on virtualization and CPU
cache coherency analysis?

Thanks,

Steve

--0-1987994721-1085703071=:72558

<DIV>Has anyone done any analysis of cache coherency on SMP systems with
Xen?&nbsp; Can processor affinity be set to associate VMs with specific
CPUs?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, does anyone know of any good research papers on virtualization and
CPU cache coherency analysis?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>