[Xen-devel] DOM0 diskless => NAT doesn't work ?!

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] DOM0 diskless => NAT doesn't work ?!
From: Bret McKee <bret@xxxxxx>
Date: 08 Apr 2004 10:18:29 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:24:15 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings:

I'm trying to set up an entirely diskless Xen system and have found a
problem.  Before I spend a lot more time hunting it down, I wanted to
see if anyone else had already figured it out.

I have a machine which has a disk with the following configuration:
/dev/hda1 - Linux image
/dev/hda2 - Swap
/dev/hda5 - Linux image
/dev/hda6 - swap

If I boot with DOM0 using /dev/hda1 and DOM1 using /dev/hda5, everything
works fine.  DOM0 gets a "real" IP address, plus 169.254.1.0 (after
running xen_nat_enable). Booting DOM1 from /dev/hda5 works, and gets it
169.254.1.1.

If I move the contents /dev/hda5 to an NFS server, I can boot DOM1
diskless and everything is fine.

If I move the contents of /dev/hda1 to the NFS server, I can boot DOM0
fine via NFS, but if I boot DOM1 from either /dev/hda6 or NFS, the
169.254.1.1 IP address does not work (when I boot diskless, this
prevents it from booting, of course, but when I boot from the disk it
boots fine but has broken networking).  An ifconfig shows the address of
the lan card as being correct, but no packets actually get delivered. If
I instead assign it a "real" IP address on it's subnet, everything works
as well.

This has lead me to conclude that booting DOM0 diskless breaks the NAT
functionality, and I'm wondering if any networking guru's out there
might have any ideas about where to go from here (or if someone has
DOM0+NAT working diskless, I'd love to hear about that as well).

I suspect that it is somehow related to the fact that booting diskless
causes the LAN card to be initialed very early in the boot process by
the kernel, and it must not be getting initialized the same as if it was
set up later.

Thanks,

Bret