Re: [Xen-devel] A question on xen-1.2??

To: I RATTAN <rattan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A question on xen-1.2??
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:21:42 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:31:13 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I have been able to compile and boot xeno-linux-2.4.24-xeno (used
> linux-2.4.25 generics sources this time).
>
> I see two messages at boot, parts of dmesg shown:
> ---
> Linux version 2.4.25-xeno (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.3.2
> 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)) #1 Thu Apr 1 15:39:11 EST 2004
> On node 0 totalpages: 32768
> ---> first one starts
> RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: image too big! (8000/4096 blocks)
> Freeing initrd memory: 8000k freed

Are you intentionally trying to use an initrd ram disk?  If so,
what's in it?  Why is it so big? (this is a linux issue, not a
Xen one)

> root_device_name = hda1
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k freed
> EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on hd(3,1), internal journal
>
> ---> second one follows
> Adding Swap: 262072k swap-space (priority -1)
> ioctl 00005386 not supported by xl_block
> -------------

I'll bet this is some random ioctl to do with audio on a
CDROM. We should figure out which one it is and add it to the
list that we ignore without grumbling about (or add support if it
might be useful). Stuff like this will go away in the new IO
world anyhow.

> Also, if the box is rebooted then there is a message
> Syncing hardware clock to system time modeprobe: Can't locate module \
> char-major-10-135
>
> What module is that?

Probably the RTC driver. You don't want to use it with Xen
anyhow, so just disable it. (either remove the line from the rc
scripts, or you may be able to alias it to null in your modules.conf).

> And the machine needs a hardware reset to reboot (as ti just sits there!)

Odd. Are you booting with 'noreboot' on the Xen command line?

Ian