[Xen-devel] Xen 1.3 I/O

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 1.3 I/O
From: "Barry Silverman" <barry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:28:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 02:30:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been tracking the 1.3 I/O update quite closely, and have a reasonable idea of how the low level mechanisms work.

Is there a roadmap document that describes where Xen I/O is going at a high level?

IE – Will the Hardware I/O drivers be removed from Xen, and moved into a special I/O manager domain (or Domain 0)

       Will there be a stub (just drivers, and not much else) linux kernel running in a privileged domain just for servicing hardware to other domains that don’t map the hardware?

       Will Domain 0 continue to do its own hardware I/O?

       Will it be possible to have complicated mappings of privileged domains that each control different bits of hardware, and have them service I/O to arbitrary sets of non-privileged domains?

Barry Silverman