Re: [Xen-devel] About the Windows port

To: debackerl@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] About the Windows port
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:54:41 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:54:42 +0000

>So why not just give the compiled Xen modifications, indeed, you take the
>source, compile it. Then you use a program that will compare the compiled
>form of both the original kernel, and the ported one. Then the program will
>make a path. Therefore, you may just freely release the patch.
>
>The use will just have to make a copy of his ntoskrnl.exe as xenkrnel.exe.
>Patch xenkrnl.exe. Edit his boot.ini file as follow:
>
>[boot loader]
>timeout=30
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>Professional (Xen Edition)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=xenkrnl.exe
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>Professional" /fastdetect

I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than this; ntoskrnl.exe is not
the entire "kernel" (in Unix-speak), but rather just a part of it. A
variety of dlls are required too in order to get something that boots.

Secondly, we've not yet evaluated the legalily of distributing a binary
patch. I think we're unlikely to spend the requisite time and money in
doing this, at least not soon; if you require multiple copies of Windows
XP in the short term, I'm afraid you'll need to go with one of the
commerical offerings.

cheers,

S.