Re: [Xen-devel] Xen x devfs

To: I RATTAN <rattan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen x devfs
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:13:14 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen - discussion list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:25:07 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Do you mean that domain 0 fails to mount its root file system
> > i.e. you haven't got INIT running yet?  Does the kernel command
> > line get printed out OK as the domain boots?
> I have no serial console.. the point where the boot process stops-->
> NET4: UNIX domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
> root_device_name = hda5
> VFS: Can't open root device "hda5" or 03:05
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:05

Earlier in the boot process, do you see messages from Xen
detecting your hard drive, and then from domain 0 doing a
partition check on hda?

e.g. on my SCSI machine I should see the following from Xen:

scsi0 : percraid
  Vendor: DELL      Model: PERCRAID Volume   Rev: V1.0
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
SCSI device sda: 286716544 512-byte hdwr sectors (146799 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off

... and the following from domain 0:

DOM0: pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
DOM0: Skipping partition check on cdrom /dev/hda
DOM0: Partition check:
DOM0:  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10 sda11 sda12
sda13 sda14 sda15 >
DOM0: RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
DOM0: loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
DOM0: NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0

What happens if you use one of the standard linux kernels on the
DemoCD rather than Xen?

Ian