Re: [Xen-devel] Via Cyrix 3 II / CentaurHauls Nehemiah support

To: Sean Atkinson <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Via Cyrix 3 II / CentaurHauls Nehemiah support
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:22:04 +0000
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:26:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> Fixed!  Attached is a patch for the current unstable tree to enable
> support for the Via C3-II.  It allows the CPU in Xen itself, adds it to
> the Xenolinux CPU config (although this is equivalent to a regular 686
> for now), and also lets Xenolinux initialise it.  I just copied the
> relevant sections of code from the regular Linux source, and it seems to
> work fine.

Cheers. We should probably make the default such that it prints a
big warning message if it doesn't know about the CPU, but then
has a go booting anyway. We could have an exclusion list of
things we know don't work e.g. 586 or older. Want to update your
patch? ;-)

> Also attached are dmesg outputs from patched Xen and DOM0 running on the
> Nehemiah, plus /proc/cpuinfo from Red Hat 9 and DOM0.  Apart from the
> CPU MHz changing slightly (as they often do between reboots), I notice
> DOM0 also includes the xstore flag and that the bogomips are almost 10
> times the MHz, rather than almost double.  Other than that it all looks
> pretty standard, which is comforting.

Interesting about the bogomips. I haven't looked too closely at
what other CPUs do. I suspect its a generic problem in the xeno
setup code, but I doubt it has any real consequence.

> Incidentally I also had to connect a PS/2 keyboard since the USB
> keyboard wasn't recognised.  Somehow both then allowed input, although
> the Num Lock changes only affected the PS/2 keyboard which prevented the
> right side of the USB keyboard from being used for letters (it's a mini
> laptop style thing and defaults to Num Lock on).  Are there any thoughts
> on adding USB support yet?

I suspect the BIOS is making the USB keyboard look like PS/2.

Native USB support for Xen will be rather easier in the new IO
model, but its not currently high on our priority list.

Ian