[Xen-devel] xentrace build fails

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xentrace build fails
From: Christian Limpach <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:21:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:27:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

building tools (from xen-unstable 040309) fails in xentrance with:
gcc -Wall -O3  -I../../xen/include -I../../xenolinux-sparse/include -o
xentrace xentrace.c -L../xc/lib -lxc
In file included from /usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/signal.h:326,
                 from xentrace.c:22:
/usr/include/asm/sigcontext.h:79: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/asm/sigcontext.h:82: error: syntax error before '}' token

The offending line is:
        struct _fpstate __user * fpstate;

__user is defined in /usr/include/linux/compiler.h but the compile uses
Xen's linux/compiler.h (in ../../xen/include) which doesn't define __user.

Adding
#define __user
to xen/include/linux/compiler.h works for this case but the mixing of header
files can lead to quite unexpected behaviour :-(
Not sure what the correct fix is, maybe add all header files to the xen
include files tree so that we get a consistent set of header files for
applications interfacing with Xen? (this would also be a step towards
compiling Xen and its tools on !Linux which might be desirable maybe)

This is on Debian with kernel header files from the
linux-kernel-headers-2.5.999-test7-bk-15 package.

    christian