Re: [Xen-devel] debian packages of xen

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Ian Pratt wrote:

> Normally, the only time that /dev/xvdXX entries get used is when
> temporarily attaching a virtual disk to a domain for the purposes
> of making a file system on it and populating its contents before
> handing it off to another domain (usually as a hdX or sdX device).
>
> I'd have thought we could have found an existing device to use
> that already has /dev entries created in most distributions and
> wouldn't cause problems with user space tools (since it wouldn't
> be required until after e.g. kudzu has run)
>
> Alternatively, we could just recommend people go for an arbitrary
> unused SCSI device e.g. /dev/sddx (the 127th SCSI disk).

Well, I need to play with this then, before uploading.  We currently aren't
using VDs, but are netbooting/nfsrooting everything.

The reason we are doing that, is it makes centralized management much simpler.
One of the reasons we did that, hwoever, was because of xen's poor support for
amd chipsets.

It'd be nice if the pci/ide/dma support in xen was more linux like, so more
drivers could be dropped in.