Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie: Can this be run with Windows 2000 as the host OS

To: Nuno Silva <nuno.silva@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie: Can this be run with Windows 2000 as the host OS ?
From: "Ian C. Blenke" <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:01:36 -0500
Cc: David Brusowankin <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:21:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:35:10AM +0000, Nuno Silva wrote:

> David Brusowankin wrote:
> > From the documentation it is unclear to me how, if at all, this can be
> >set up to run on top of a Win 2K system.
> >

> "On top" of win2k? No, it can't.
>
> Xen is a minimal OS designed to run other OSs. Those OSs need to be
> modified to run "under" Xen, like Linux and netBSD were.

The closest you can get to running Xen like this right now would be with
VMWare, VirtualPC, Plex86/BOCHS/QEMU, or one of the other commercial
virtual machine packages out there.

You might consider giving coLinux a try (http://www.colinux.org), but
this isn't going to help you get the Xen hypervisor running in ring0
alongside the NT kernel. Xen would need to be modified to use some of
the coLinux tricks to run in parallel with win2k (which defeats the
purpose of Xen in the first place).

On a related note: how goes the battle for distributable Microsoft
modified binaries to allow windows hosting under Xen?

- Ian Blenke <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>