Re: [Xen-devel] Creating a local network within the GuestOS and routing

To: "Woloszynski, Charles" <charles.woloszynski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Creating a local network within the GuestOS and routing to an ext ernal network
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:45:30 +0000
Cc: "'xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:53:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is it possible to create a local network within a set of Xenolinux machines
> and then allow one of them to route to the external network over an actual
> network interface?
>
> I am working on using the TC (traffic control) toolset to do QoS enforcement
> and planning on using Xen/Xenolinux.  Since the Xen packet interface simply
> shares access across the system, I wanted to use one GuestOS as the router
> and have it enforce the queuing policies and let the other GuestOSes talk to
> the external network through this GuestOS.  I was wondering if anyone has
> done anything like this?  Can we create an in-memory network for the local
> subnet?

Yes, the 169.254/16 network is entirely intra-machine.

There are a couple of bugs that mean that the performance of
inter VM communication isn't what it should be (too many virtual
interrupts), but it works. This will be fixed in somewhere in the
1.3/1.4 series when the new IO stuff goes in.

See the xen_nat_enable script (which should actually be called
"dom0_nat_enable").

Ian