[Xen-devel] PHY vs. VD benchmark

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] PHY vs. VD benchmark
From: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:01:38 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:07:05 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did some quick benchmarks in case somebody is interested. Few words about
the setup:

DOM1 64Mb RAM, vd:1 (4Gb on real /dev/sdb)
DOM2 64Mb RAM, sda1 (4Gb mapped from real /dev/sdc5)

sdb is configured with only two VD's (4Gb root + 128Mb swap) so that in both
cases partitions lay at the beginning of the physical disk. I suspect at
least, because I don't know how VD code allocates space. sdc also has only
two phy partitions with the same setup.

Both have identical root fs-s.

Single run is done while other domains sit idle.
Concurrent run is both domain running bonnie++, well, concurrently :)

It seems that phy is significantly faster than vd, and that concurrent i/o
load on separate disks doesn't  hurt performace.

Detailed log attached.