Re: [Xen-devel] xen vs. uml benchmarks

To: Peter Surda <shurdeek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen vs. uml benchmarks
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:42:48 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:45:07 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the benchmarks published on the Xen website, mainly
> how UML was benchmarked. My point is that the details aren't described
> anywhere, and there are several tricks which dramatically improve UML
> performance, mainly IO-Latency and scheduling.

The SOSP paper contains more details.

The UML was running with the SKA host patches.

> So, here comes:
> - what was the data, such as rootfs, in reality? was it a raw partition or an
>   ubd or hostfs (or whatever)?

The root file system and all data were stored in a real (raw) disk
partition containing ext3.

> - was the UML memory saved on tmpfs?

No special measures were taken to control where the UML memory
went, as I'm afraid the UML howtos didn't indicate that this was
important.  If the default is to send it to /tmp (?), that would
have been the host's root ext3.

If I get a chance, I'll rerun the UML results with a tmpfs.

> - was swap used inside the guest, again was it raw or ubd or whatever?

None of the experiments caused the guests to swap, so I believe
swap was left unconfigured (I haven't got access to the machine
right now to check)

Best,
Ian