[Xen-devel] Strange proc fs problem

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Strange proc fs problem
From: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:34:41 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:38:08 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How to reproduce:
 - run top and change refresh delay to 0.1
 - top reports self cpu usage as 0.0%
 - run some other intensive task when top is running
 - its cpu usage is correctly display
 - run second instance of top with delay 0.1
 - both tops show 0.0% cpu usage for both

This is obviously wrong, and I can't reproduce it on vanilla kernel. However,
there is one very interesting story. One of my projects is a binary proc
interface patch for vanilla kernel. It is still under development (well I
have some bugs in it which need some time to be found) but that's not what is
interesting.

Interesting is that with that patch, I have the same problem with top as
observed with XenoLinux.

As I don't think mine and your project are very similiar :), this is a
potentialy very interesting problem. I will investigate my part when my job
duties allow me, but in the mean time I wanted to report this strange issue
to you.

Best regards,
Tvrtko A. Ursulin
--
Croadria Internet usluge <http://www.croadria.com>
- Web hosting (Linux & Windows), E-commerce