Re: [Xen-devel] IDE DMA not supported in 1.0?

To: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] IDE DMA not supported in 1.0?
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:56:47 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:56:48 +0000
>> As to whether Xen is using DMA with your hardware, you'll need to
>> take a look at the boot messages as Xen comes up. One of the
>> items on our todo list is to make those messages available from
>> domain0 after boot, but for now, they only flash by on the VGA
>> console unless you've attached a serial line.
>
>My super-biosonic eye ;) managed to do that. Yes, it is using DMA. I wasn't
>sure because quick test with hdparm -t also fails because of missing ioctls.

Indeed; as Ian mentioned, you don't have a 'real' harddisk in xenolinux,
but rather a 'virtual block device'; it's a bit icky to consider what
the various ioctls should mean on a virtual device which could in principle
span multiple different real devices....

cheers,

S.