Re: [Xen-admin] One for the Xen FAQ: XP licencing

To: Leon Brooks <leon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-admin] One for the Xen FAQ: XP licencing
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:01:14 +0100
Cc: xen-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:02:40 +0100
Sender: xen-admin-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Will Microsoft require a licence for each Xenned copy of XP you want to
> run? How will they enforce this if so?

Terms of licensing for the XP port are yet to be worked out, but
I think its safe to assume that at least in the mid-term, any
binary release is only going to be other research groups, perhaps
tied to the PlanetLab research testbed.

If Xen turns out to be a big success, you never know, maybe MS
will start selling XP for xen-x86 ;-)

Think of Xen as a "really smart BIOS", and its not very
threatening to MS or any other OS vendor.

Ian