Re: [Xen-devel] Time in Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Time in Xen
From: Nicolas Bougues <nbougues-listes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:04:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:10:43 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:39:37AM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> > I have a strange problem. One of my various xen test boxes doesn't
> > accept to set its time. Basically, it's stuck to RTC time.
> >
> > ntpdate, date, hwclock all "seem" to work, but they don't actually
> > change the system time. The only way I have to change it right now is
> > to change it in the BIOS, which is not a good thing.
> >
> > Since I heavily "stripped down" the Debian version on this box, maybe
> > I broke something somewhere.
>
> Sadly, settimeofday is broken :-(

Well, yes, actually I just realized that it doesn't work anywhere.

I noticed that in arch/xeno/kernel/time.c, do_settimeofday() has a #if
0 which prevents it from doing anything.

> > While I'm trying to debug how settimeofday() syscall work, I'm
> > wondering if there is some cross-domain time synchronization : are
> > they always in perfect sync, or should I run some kind of ntp stuff in
> > each subdomain ? Or only domain 0 would be enough ?
>
> If settimeofday in domain 0 would update the RTC via Xen, then that
> would be adequate. All other domains automatically remain synchronized
> with the RTC.

By RTC, you mean the hardware RTC ? Doesn't xen maintain a system time
on its own ?

As long as xen system time is settable via a domain 0 user tool
(ntp-alike), I don't really care about the hardware RTC.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive