xen-community

[Xen-community] DomU hang (not the console) for kernel > 2.6.27

To: xen-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-community] DomU hang (not the console) for kernel > 2.6.27
From: Chandra Krintz <ckrintz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:07:17 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:14:20 -0700
Sender: xen-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I have been using Xen for awhile and have recently run into an
interesting problem.

I have a Dell Poweredge R300, with Xen 3.3, Ubuntu 9.04,
dom0 kernel 2.6.27.5, and bios 1.2.0.
I installed the kernel and xen via instructions from here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-xen-3.3-with-kernel-2.6.27-on-ubuntu-8.10-x86_64
This machine is able to run Ubuntu 9.04 domUs in pv and hvm mode for
images with kernels from 2.6.24 through 2.6.28.15, without a problem.

I then purchased another identical system from dell. The only difference that I can tell is the bios is v1.3.0. I tried my best to ensure that everything was
installed exactly the same on this machine as on the original system.

On this new machine, hvm domUs work, but pv domUs only work
up to 2.6.28 -- When I start a domU with a 2.6.28 (e.g. 2.6.28-15- server)
with the console attached, it hangs immediately after printing
"Starting domain XXX", a new line and some space.

If I start without a console, it just hangs when I attach via xm console.
I've verified that the system never comes up, the boot process doesn't
even start.  There are no errors in the xen logs and there is no
qemu log create in /var/log/xen/ for the domain. xm list shows the system
in running state immediately  (no boot state).  The output from xenxtc
is a very long stack trace:
Call Trace:
  [<ffffffff8029e934>]  <--
  [<ffffffff809b3c08>]
... about 40 additional addrs print

I've tested this on kernels 2.6.28-{13-server,15-server,11-generic) (for pv domU) and have
the same issue on this machine (all work fine on the first machine).

Has anyone ever experienced this or is there someone who knows what I can do/try/report to get help fixing it? I'm unable to find anything on the web by others
with a similar problem.

thanks in advance.
-Chandra