xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] dom0 vs domu vs domDriver

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] dom0 vs domu vs domDriver
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:46:22 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:46:44 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps... certainly the property is there to be exploited, but I'm not 100% comfortable (yet :-) with enumerating all the differnet roles that a Xen domain can have into a single mutually-exclusive property value, one that must be shared with all the other different virtualization platform's types... In particular, as Dan alluded to on Xen_API, it seems domu vs domdriver vs domstub vs domfoo is more a (dynamic?) capability, or capabilities, that a particular domain can fulfill at a particular time, and therefore not terribly quite suited to a (static) X/Y/Z tag.

Perhaps we can still use this property if there turns out to be fairly discrete (and static) Xen domain types that must be specified at Create time, but even then I think we may still end up needing more dynamic flexibility to associate particular management capabilities with particular domains during their lifetime.

- Gareth

Inactive hide details for Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          09/15/06 05:04 PM

xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[Xen-cim] dom0 vs domu vs domDriver

While reviewing the Virtual System Profile today I was reminded of the
property SystemType in CIM_VirtualSystemSettingData.  I'm wondering if
we can use this to describe the purpose of the virtual system, e.g
DriverDomain, HVMStubDomain, etc.  I don't like these names since they
are not very descriptive to the casual user but you get the picture.
SystemType is a string property so no restrictions on what goes there.
See section 8.3.2 in Virtual System Profile version 0.7.2.

BTW, I'll have limited to no network access next week :-).  I do plan on
participating in the weekly call next Friday.

Jim