xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] Latest slide deck for Xen Summit

To: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] Latest slide deck for Xen Summit
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:22:23 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:22:36 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Find my latest work on the summit presentation attached.  The diagram on
>slide 11 does not include CIM_VSSD or recorded RASD - it was getting
>cluttered with these components and their associations.  I think the
>diagram illustrates the concept of resource allocation as is, but will
>add some of the finer points if desired.

Sounds OK. Getting the concept of the VirtualDevice <--> RASD <--> Pool <--> PxDevice
is most important; recorded vs current RASD is secondary, as is the one VSSD per VM.

>Perhaps we should have 1 slide
>containing a busy diagram that shows the model in action for an active
>vm.  It would bring together all of the 'component' diagrams on previous
>slides.

Sure. One big busy slide with most everything for an active VM - with processor,
memory, disk & NICs - will be visually overwhelming but something that we can talk
around and point out relationship, as well as giving them the whole picture in a printed
slide for reference later.

>Gareth - I don't have source for diagram on slide 8.  You will take care of this one?

Will do.

>Currently for demo I've been thinking along the lines of:
>- Connect to cimom and look in Interop namespace for our profiles
>- Follow ElementConformsToProfile to find host (OMC) CS.
>- Look at pools associated with host CS
>- Look at host resources contained in pool
>- Look at virtual resources (and RASD) allocated from pool
>- Enumerate virtual CS running on host CS by follow HostedDependency
>- Define a virtual CS (will have to use cli for this one as none of the
>free GUI clients support embedded instances)
>- Enumerate virtual CS - see new defined but disabled CS
>- Invoke RequestStateChange() on new CS to move to enabled state
>- Pause/unpause via RequestStateChange()
>- ??

sounds OK. I might suggest reordering a bit:

- Connect to cimom and look in Interop namespace for our profiles
- Follow ElementConformsToProfile to find host (OMC) CS.

- Enumerate virtual CS running on host CS by follow HostedDependency
- Define a virtual CS (will have to use cli for this one as none of the
free GUI clients support embedded instances)
- Enumerate virtual CS - see new defined but disabled CS
- Invoke RequestStateChange() on new CS to move to enabled state

* this might be a good point to break out and show what 'xm' shows for the new DomU
- Pause/unpause via RequestStateChange()

* Suspend. Show how it still exists wrt to CIM model, but not to 'xm'. Resume
* destroy vm

- Look at pools associated with host CS
- Look at host resources contained in pool
- Look at virtual resources (and RASD) allocated from pool

ie cover the major lifecycle ops first, then delve into the pool stuff.

* Can we demo/show the async lifecycle indications somehow too? ie how a CIMListerer will
  automagically get notified when a DomU is created/started/stopped/destroyed/etc

- Gareth

Inactive hide details for Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          08/25/06 04:56 PM

xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[Xen-cim] Latest slide deck for Xen Summit

All,

Find my latest work on the summit presentation attached.  The diagram on
slide 11 does not include CIM_VSSD or recorded RASD - it was getting
cluttered with these components and their associations.  I think the
diagram illustrates the concept of resource allocation as is, but will
add some of the finer points if desired.  Perhaps we should have 1 slide
[...]

Feel free to add suggestion for the demo as well.  Still lots of work.
Would like to have this solidified by the end of next week.

BTW, I do not have a laptop capable of running this demo :-(.  My plan
is to bring along a workstation-sized machine loaded with the demo.
Hopefully I can get access to a monitor on site so I don't have to drag
that along as well.

Jim
[attachment "XenCIM.odp" deleted by Gareth S Bestor/Poughkeepsie/IBM] _______________________________________________
Xen-cim mailing list