xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] FYI - 3.0.3 code freeze & Xen CIM API

To: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] FYI - 3.0.3 code freeze & Xen CIM API
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:57:43 +0100
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:57:49 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:15:31AM -0700, Gareth S Bestor wrote:

> In case some folks are not following xen-devel, 3.0.3 is now frozen.
>
> >...The xend lifecycle management patches will be
> >held-over to the next release so it can become part of a larger set of
> >control tool changes.
>
> With 3.0.3 frozen, I expect Ewan's new xend C API will be showing up in
> xen-unstable shortly. After some discussions over the past couple of weeks
> the decision was made for the Xen CIM API that for the immediate future we
> should proceed with replacing the current libxm/libvirt 'shim' in the CIM
> provider code today with direct calls to the new xend C API, as defined by
> Ewan. Please note, this DOES NOT preclude porting the providers to a
> proper full libvirt API at some point, but because of the immediate
> additional development work this will require - i.e.  replace the shim
> with libvirt PLUS add a new backend to libvirt for the new xend API - that
> this will not be our immediate focus. Since Ewan's new xend C API will
> only show up in 3.0.4, backward compatibility to 3.0.3 for the CIM
> providers will be handled by making the new xend compatible with a Xen
> 3.0.3 base (right Ewan?)

Yes, that's right.  We'll make sure that the Xend from the 3.0.4 release runs
on top of RHEL 5 / FC6, which we expect to be based on Xen 3.0.3.  The reason
for doing this is to make sure that we have a good story for the management
stack for RHEL 5, which of course could be around in the enterprise for a very
long time yet.

SLES10 SP1 is targeted to work with Xen 3.0.4, so compatibility with SLES10 is
assured.

Please note that Xen 3.0.3 is in feature-freeze inside xen-unstable, but it's
not yet been forked.  The API work won't drop into xen-unstable until 3.0.3 is
forked to become the new xen-3.0-testing tree (a small number of weeks,
hopefully) and xen-unstable is unlocked again.

Ewan.