xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] CIM_RecordedState and CIM_RecordedSetting questions

To: "Szymanski, Lukasz K" <Lukasz.Szymanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] CIM_RecordedState and CIM_RecordedSetting questions
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:21:51 -0600
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:22:11 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Szymanski, Lukasz K wrote:

I used the latest docs and mofs from the DMTF as a basis of my questions:

1)
The definitions of CIM_RecordedSetting are different in the System and Resource docs. In the RVP it has elements CurrentSetting and RecordedSetting; in the SVP it has ActiveSetting and RecordedSetting. So which should I believe?

I think this is just a cleanup issue. Wish I would have added this to my comments on the recent SVP ballot :-). ActiveSetting == CurrentSetting.

2)
Looking at the mofs we see
CIM_RecordedSetting:
        CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData REF CurrentSetting
        CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData REF RecordedSetting

CIM_RecordedState:
        CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData REF RecordedSetting
        CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData REF ActiveSetting

So what is the difference between ActiveSetting and CurrentSetting? And also, CIM_RecordedState.mof matches the definition of CIM_RecordedSetting in the SVP.

I would ignore the CIM_RecordedState.mof. It resides in the Archives folder and is only there for "historical reference".

3)
From the Resource Virtualization Profile:
P. 17: Recorded State in diagram 7-1 (looks like an association)
P. 20: Recorded State in diagram 7-2 (looks like an association), RecordedSetting is mentioned in the diagram description below it, RecordedState is not. Why?

There is no mention of RecordedState association in the CIM Element Overview, but there is for RecordedSetting. Why?

FYI, Resource Virtualization Profile is now Resource Allocation Profile and the pages / figures you mentioned are different. But to answer the question, I would say mentally replace RecordedState with RecordedSetting wherever you see it in either profile. There is some mixing of RecordedState and RecordedSetting in the latest Resource Allocation Profile under ballot and I will comment on this, i.e. replace all instances of RecordedState with RecordedSetting.

4)
From the Resource Virtualization Profile:
P. 32
11.7 CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData
This setting data instance represents the recorded state of the resource. Implementations may choose to use one instance to reflect both recorded and current settings and point both references within CIM_RecordedSetting association on this instance..

Is this the way we want to go?

For the time I would say yes. Eventually though we would want to support different recorded and current settings for resources. Changing current settings (and thus have recorded and current settings differ) is probably not an immediate goal with Xen. As Gareth has pointed out, even ballooning domUs is non-deterministic so probably not something we should shoot for immediately. However it does make sense to support changing recorded settings (again resulting in different recorded / current settings), which would be applied the next time the domU is activated.

5)
Looking at the ElementSettingData mof I find an element called IsCurrent and one called IsActive which would make one think that ElementSettingData somehow differentiates between RecordedState and RecordedSetting (see mof descriptions above). This, BTW, is out of sync with the SVP which does not have an IsActive element. Why is that?

Again, RecordedState == RecordedSetting. Also I would suspect that the IsActive property of CIM_ElementSettingData.mof will be removed since it is not referenced in any of the current profile documents. If a setting is current, then IsCurrent should be set to 1 "Is Current". If setting is recorded, then IsCurrent would be set to 2 "Is Not Current". The IsActive property is redundant. The IsDefault property is used by Allocation Capabilities Profile.

Hope this provides some clarification.

Jim