xen-cim

Re: FW: [Xen-cim] Bridge

To: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FW: [Xen-cim] Bridge
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:12:12 -0600
Cc: Xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 May 2006 10:12:24 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gareth S Bestor wrote:

Sorry. I wasnt able to make the call this morning (pity, we could've used my conf # again by the sounds of it! :-)
How'd it go?

We didn't spend much time on the call. Talked about the SVPC f2f briefly. Raj is working on the associations he mentioned in a previous post. I have moved on to the management service.

I did have some questions for you regarding implementation of VirtualSystemManagementService.

1. Should we support start/stop service? Currently these methods start/stop xend - seems like suicide and not nice for other management tools :-). I think we should mark these "not supported" for the time.

2. How to handle the embedded instance parameters in various extrinsic methods? When I first noticed these parameters in the profile / mof I thought of using OpenWBEM's mof compiler library - assuming the encoding of embedded instances was mof. However this approach in not cimom agnostic and thus not an option for this project. How do you envision handling the embedded instances in CMPI? Also, I read Appendix H of

  http://www.dmtf.org/standards/published_documents/DSP0004V2.3_final.pdf

and it is not clear how one specifies which encoding is in use. Does an implementation have to support both encodings?

3. We talked about implementing RequestStateChange() intrinsic method in Xen_ComputerSystem. Should we implement the corresponding extrinsic methods in VirtualSystemManagementService or just map them to appropriate RequestStateChange? For example, should PauseVirtualSystem() just call RequestStateChange("Paused") on the referenced Xen_ComputerSystem or provide an implementation?

4. Some of the extrinsic methods are going to be quite messy to implement I believe. DefineVirtualSystem() for example is overloaded. The implementation has to parse through all of the embedded resource instances, supply defaults for required resources that were not provided, supply default properties for resources provided but no property value provided, etc. How does the implementation report a reasonable error in the event something fails in this process?

5. Job control. Currently no support for job control in the providers. Does CMPI have thread support? (Obviously I need to spend some time in the CMPI spec :-)). We will need some generic job control support for the various services that potentially return job IDs (VirtualSystemManagementService, ResourcePoolConfigurationService). We can just go with synchronous support in the short term.

Jim