xen-cim

[Xen-cim] Meeting minutes 05/05/2006

To: <xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-cim] Meeting minutes 05/05/2006
From: "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 14:53:36 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:53:50 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim,
I guess you beat me to it by a couple of minutes :-)
Raj

These are notes I took for my reference.
Topics
1. Having a well-architected control software stack
Currently, the management software stack architecture for Xen is not
well-defined. There is a need for a defining this architecture clearly.
We need to define a base level of software interfaces that everyone will
have to support. There will be a meeting the following Tuesday (May 9th)
to discuss this.

2. Virtual Disk Format (I am not 100% sure how we got into this:-) ).
QCOW (Qemu's Copy on Write) disk format has been tested and proven to be
performing better than the Microsoft and VMWare's equivalents. In all
likelihood, we will be using this for our virtual disk format.

While this is where the VM's filesystem will reside, we still need to
answer the question of where the configuration state is going to be
persisted and how we are going to handle migration.

3. Current Code Progress
The code for XenHostedSystem.c is being completed and a patch will be
sent early next week. The immediate focus for code should be on fixing
the base classes and the associated SettingData.

4. DMTF
The DMTF MOFs cannot be distributed to non-DMTF members. This is going
to restrict the number of people who can work on the Xen-CIM project.
Gareth has been working on convincing the DMTF people on the
advisability of making some version of the MOFs available to the general
Xen-CIM project. He is hopeful.

There was a further discussion on how the virtual system lifecycle
defined by the DMTF has a different interpretation of the inactive stage
than the Xen implementation. We will have to somehow reconcile these
differences.