xen-cim

Re: [Xen-cim] xm shim

To: "Jim Fehlig" <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-cim] xm shim
From: Gareth S Bestor <bestorga@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:49:33 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:45:01 -0700
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yup - I've been following the discussion on the libvirt mailing list with some interest. I too dont have strong feelings either way... We initially decide to not try to support xm config files in the LTC in-house Xen CIM providers because (1) the file format was still evolving, and (2) since these files are effectively python *scripts* sticking a python interpretor in the CIM providers seemed a little excessive. However, we also inherently had more control of what paths our particular Xen management app could control things, so not supporting existing xm config files was something we could get away with...

Some management apps wont care or need to keep track of non-running DomU's, so they wont care. However, a lot of more advanced management apps will and may treat an inactive DomU as just being another state that their virtual systems can go thru (eg think of a paused DomU vs a suspended DomU vs a stopped DomU as being various states of a virtual system relinquishing its resources back to the system). In particular, once we start wanting to talk about snapshots, static migration, etc, the ability to manage and keep track of DomU's that might be "inactive" becomes quite important.

I think the dicussion going on in libvirt is a good one and maybe something the rest of the folks in xen-cim want to wade into the fray and express an opinion. Lets discuss tomrrow on the call if there is no other pressing business.

BTW - I'm starting to work on the XenSource CIM wiki page and will post some docs there in the next few days, in preparation for a walkthru next Fri (Apr 14).

- Gareth

Gareth S. Bestor, PhD.

IBM Linux Technology Center
M/S DES2-01
15300 SW Koll Parkway, Beaverton, OR 97006
503-578-3186, T/L 775-3186, Fax 503-578-3186

Sent by: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx