xen-arm

RE: [XenARM] VMM for smart devices

To: Shailesh Kumar <tsaileshkumar@xxxxxxxxx>, Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [XenARM] VMM for smart devices
From: ROSSIER Daniel <Daniel.Rossier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:54:50 +0100
Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: "xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 00:54:35 -0700
Sender: xen-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The main difference resides in the way isolation is achieved. Adeos mainly
focus on IRQ abstraction (IRQ is captured and
dispatched according to the domain priorities, but it is still possible for a
non-RT domain (Linux one for instance) to issue
syscalls and put locks on the CPU, therefore monopolize the CPU as long as it
wants. We experienced some important differences in jitter when the user
interacts with a touchscreen LCD for example. Of course, the Adeos approach
reduces
the overhead and decrease the latency time despite the security (isolation)
issues. On the other hand, we do not have any experience so far in what kind of
overhead an hypervisor like XEN may introduce: that is one of our main
objectives to realize this port.

> Please also share if there is any porting guidelines available. I am
> familiar with the ADEOS based Xenomai porting but hyperviser based
> Xenomai.... I am wondering. Please share any documents related to this
> activity.

Of course, we will inform as soon as we start with the Xenomai integration on
top of the hypervisor. It would be great if you could also help us in this
port. Right now, we are still preparing a bootable hypervisor (it should be
available by end of next week on embeddedXEN sourceforge). We keep you informed.

> Regards
> Sailesh.
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Fasiha Ashraf <feehapk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> Is there Xen or any other hypervisor available freely for handheld
> devices like iPhones? i mean as open source code.
>
> Regards!
>
> Fasiha Ashraf

Daniel