xen-arm

[XenARM] Initial porting on Xscale

To: <xen-arm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenARM] Initial porting on Xscale
From: "ROSSIER Daniel" <Daniel.Rossier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:55:41 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:56:20 -0700
Sender: xen-arm-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We have now started the port of XEN on a Xscale/PXA270 processor (actually
using a Colibri board from Toradex).

Ongoing work consists at porting the bootstrap code from XEN on the ARM without
enabling the virtualization
mechanisms. The goal is to have a software infrastructure which is compliant
with the XEN tree organization
and to have the right init code which works on the target machine.

In summary, what we are doing is to have the bootstrap code which gives the
hand to the XEN initialization code, which in turns
starts the primary domain-0 Linux.

The init code will be strongly inspired from Daniel Ferstay's work as well as
the standard ARM arch-dependent code from the
vanilla kernel (we're considering the 2.6.18 version).

Then, we will gradually enable the virtualization part of the code (scheduler,
memory manager, etc.) in the hypervisor and adapt the
bootstrap code accordingly. How will the XEN concepts be mapped on the ARM
remain an open issue, but for sure the work from Daniel Ferstay
and your feedback and contribution will definitively help. I think we may also
consider the approaches presented by other ARM-target hypervisors such as
Iguana/L4, Jaluna, etc.

I hope to be able to post a first patch for the 2.6.18 kernel pretty soon.

Any hints, comments, suggestions, contributions are highly welcome and helpful.

Thanks a lot

Daniel