RE: [Xen-API] XenAPI: Why OpaqueRef instead direct UUID

To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] XenAPI: Why OpaqueRef instead direct UUID
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 22:29:37 +0400
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:29:56 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:subject:from:to:cc:in-reply-to:references :content-type:date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer :content-transfer-encoding; bh=HmbNMTHzyXcMf3U/mJ0RLcOmxv2dvUijzsuvePeDD/c=; b=D6yyw5od6apkVGL8+BZhSAs6gZudWl82MGHSpun+ZOr3lJwh+cIsol17XVQdSmsuqS 2LMxU1uXtZxRJCpCV6fIWMSAf0JMYqu8ARSGShxl5kiQoj3hxgLb2woR8RvM4LDk3h60 anL4nH1XUuXRYsAej9eAvWdVyeF1xbx+140eM=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you very much. Yes, I understand now.

I look to the source code (as far as I can), they are looked for me like
a pirmary key for database.

Can I assume that opaqueRef is consistent between xapi restart, master
change, pool upgrade and so on?

In other words, can I use OpaqueRef as full replacement for uuids?

Thanks again.

PS Can I post this reply to Xen wiki? I think it will be very userfull
for XenAPI users.

---
wBR, George.