RE: [Xen-API] Squeezed + slow domain = broken dynamic memory

To: 'George Shuklin' <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] Squeezed + slow domain = broken dynamic memory
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:06:43 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:06:57 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi George,

> Good day.
>
> I found strange limitation in squeezed code: if domain's balloon does
> not reply to memory change request it marked as 'uncooperative'.
>
> This cause stops to react to vm-memory-dynamic-set commands and stay
> until xe toolstak restarted.

Hm, I thought if you used vm-memory-dynamic-set then the new memory target
would still be written in xenstore -- does it remain at the old value?

> As I understand this was done for fast memory regulation. Is any way to
> disable this behavior? (And if some domain's balloon will not reply
> ever, will it stops to work squeezed with other domains?)

There's no way to disable the behaviour. However other domains should still
work ok.

> Other question: can I restart squeezed without restarting xapi? Will it
> break something?

Yes you can restart squeezed without restarting xapi. You might get a transient
failure if someone was using xapi to (eg) start a VM but if you repeat the
command it should work ok.

Cheers,
Dave