RE: [Xen-API] XCP antispoofing (idea and working patch)

To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] XCP antispoofing (idea and working patch)
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:15:03 +0300
Cc: Zeffertt <Alex.Zeffertt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex, Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 03:15:20 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:subject:from:to:cc :in-reply-to:references:content-type:date:message-id:mime-version :x-mailer:content-transfer-encoding; bh=JIoz9zaugnfwVDO2Fqt7vj4bypWUNZDxQ0I21h9CEpY=; b=MAKw1LiMDurz7CeZme3NFeb/LJDeUcz5Cz4C3w6Q98kMgVGIeHX/scpJCOYXh25DTY Vs+FJ5gRXNUX0EREdxYnOiEmN82tMr4DU7T0W2LX/g6oCG1BKkS7DMy5Up+OnNigxjHJ hJY8xV7HzRekq0MHco4JFmpvbtiAdir6AxbLs=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > The main concern is usage of configuration file instead xapi. I think
> > it
> > must be placed somewhere to vif's other config (but it far beyond my
> > knowledge, and I except some help with this). xapi shall place
> > ip_restriction to other-config and copy it to xenstore for vif to be
> > readable from scripts/vif script.
>
> This part needs a bit more thought. I was wondering if we wanted to have
> first-class fields for this kind of VIF/switch configuration... something like
>
> Network.default_secure: bool -- if true then unconfigured VIFs have no
> access, otherwise they have full access
> VIF.allowed_addresses: some encoding of values like
>   Some (list of (MAC, IPv4) pairs) -- specific addresses to limit the VIF to.
> Probably need '*, *'
>   None -- no configuration

Nice idea!

But why only two choices? If we really starts to thinking about security
model I see following:

1) Allow all  - No security (current state, allow regardless restriction
configuration)
3) Deny denied, allow other (use restriction according configuration,
allow non-configured) - the mode in my path.
2) Allow allowed, deny other (default mode for most ACL in network
equipment)
4) Deny All (some like network-shutdown) - if we thinking about options
this may be interesting)

Now, about restriction.

1) L2 address:  'native' VIF MAC address can be found via xenstore, so
we need to have two special values: any, self.
2) L2 protocol-num: Allowed protocol number: ipv4, ipv6, arp (does
anyone still use something else?)

2) L3 address: ipv4 (shall we support CIDR notation X.X.X.X/Y ? In this
case we can skip '*'/'any' value just replacing it 0/0).
3) IPv6 address support (...I'm lack of knowledge here)

... and one more idea: if we have 'own' ip-address for vif, can we
create some kind of 'external configurable' IP-address for guest VM
interfaces?
Agent will waiting subscribing for modification event of some variable
in xenstore in VM. It will change network interface settings accordingly
(IP, netmask).

> Also adding explicit openflow rules will conflict with any attached openflow
> controller (eg nox) so we should make it an explicit choice: disable these
> rules and enable a controller, or disable a controller and enable these rules.

... and here 2nd option for network security: what to do if openflow
controller down/not available: shutdown network/allow all.