RE: [Xen-API] XCP Feature propose - send/receive OS information using in

To: 'Marco Sinhoreli' <msinhore@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-api <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] XCP Feature propose - send/receive OS information using introspection
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:37:12 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:37:54 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello guys:
>
> I have a propose to adapt the xapi to send and receive information
> to/from guest OS. This propose don't take risk to security of XCP
> architecture and is a interesting feature to cloud system. With this
> is possible interact with the guest OS to request information from
> daemon written using the API. To do this need to change the
> permissions of introspection channel in Domain-0 of all VM and enable
> the api to send and to receive strings needing attach in a dictionary
> the uuid of VM and the text sent by daemon.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Marco,

I'd also really like a way for a XenAPI client to communicate securely with an
in-guest agent. Were you thinking of an RPC-like mechanism or something more
stream-based?

For the dom0 to domU hop we could use "V4V" (which is already part of XCI). I'm
not sure what the best API would look like and how it would behave over a VM
migration-- perhaps we should make a list of example uses first and proceed
from there?

Cheers,
Dave