RE: [Xen-API] XCP - Performance Issues with Disk-I/O for small block-siz

To: "Balg, Andreas" <a.balg@xxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] XCP - Performance Issues with Disk-I/O for small block-sizes as well as poor memory i/o
From: Julian Chesterfield <Julian.Chesterfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:58:24 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 06:07:40 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andreas,

What SR type are you using underneath the VM? If a sparse format is in use such
as VHD, or raw images on top of an EXT filesystem, you should pre-populate the
image first. If you run iozone with the -w flag it will give you a better
estimate of the raw performance. In XCP you should also compare the iozone
benchmark from within the guest to a standalone VBD (not the system disk), and
do the same from within Dom0 to measure the raw performance against the storage
device.

For best performance you should attach a direct LUN as a VBD to a guest, or
alternatively create a VDI of type=raw for LVM-based performance testing. With
this data to compare against it should be fairly clear whether the performance
drop is caused in Xen with the VBD IO request, or in the raw device driver in
the kernel.

Thanks,
Julian