Re: [Xen-API] Trying to gather statistics by parsing the rrd data files

To: Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Trying to gather statistics by parsing the rrd data files
From: Abhishek Joshi <abhishek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:01:22 -0700
Cc: Kevin Kluge <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:01:37 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the link. I think I am doing something very similar to this. I have a python plugin written, which gets rrd updates on my localhost. I read the updates, and then parse them in Java.

However, for some of the calls to retrieve these rrd updates, my read times out. I am unable to figure out as to why this happens for only some cases (i.e. this happens only for some hosts I gather stats on). Perhaps this has got to do something with the load on that host?

Also, as I said, some of the rrd files are substantially larger than the others on the respective hosts. Is there any way to limit the size of the file one reads, so that the read from the plugin never times out? More specifically, is the read timeout expected, or this seems like some deficiency in my code?

Thanks,

Abhishek