RE: [Xen-API] XCP: Roadmap, DRBD integration, API

To: Adam Gandelman <adam.gandelman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] XCP: Roadmap, DRBD integration, API
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:31:55 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:32:01 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I see on the XCP roadmap there is mention of DRBD integration at some
> point in the future.  I'm wondering if anyone has begun to brainstorm as
> to how this would be implemented and what it might look like from the
> Xapi/xe point-of-view.  LINBIT has helped a number of customers
> integrate DRBD into their XenServer deployments. Not one integration has
> been identical but automating configuration/integration via Xapi has
> always been an interesting idea.  I'm mostly curious to know if the plan
> would be a new, replicated SR or some new replication option that could
> be attached some existing SR?

As you've alluded to, there are a number of options that would make sense.
Probably having a new SR that extends capabilities of an existing SR would be
easiest. Implementing replication at the whole SR level would be one option,
but it would be more flexible to replicate individual virtual disks
independently (though this is harder because of dynamic provisioning etc).

I know a number of folk are working on implementations of things like this
based on drdb, dm-raid1 over iscsi, or alternate protocols like parallax. It
would be good to initiate a discussion of the relative merits of the different
designs, and get an update on status. I'm sure this is going to be a big topic
for the coming summit in April.

Thanks,
Ian