RE: [Xen-API] Find Shutdown VMs

To: 'Gandhiraj Natarajan' <gandhiraj_gk@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] Find Shutdown VMs
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:15:29 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 04:19:05 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

>From the xapi toolstack's point of view, running VMs are "resident_on" a
>particular host i.e. the one which is running the domain(s) corresponding to
>that VM.

A powered-off VM is not "resident_on" a host because no domains exist.

A powered-off VM may be:
1. Able to run on any host (if all Networks are pool-wide and all SRs are
shared and currently attached to all hosts)
2. Able to run on only a subset of hosts (if some Networks are internal or
some SRs are not currently attached to some hosts)

To discover on which hosts a VM may run you can use the CLI (or the API):

  # xe vm-param-get uuid=<uuid> param-name=possible-hosts

Note a VM may have an "affinity": a Host reference. This is used as a hint
during VM.start and VM.resume; if the affinity host has sufficient resources to
start there it will start there, otherwise it will start on one of the
possible-hosts using a simple load-balancing algorithm.

Cheers,
Dave